DANGERS: Pesticide Poisoning In Humans and Pets

Pesticides are designed to kill "pests", but some pesticides can also cause health effects in people and pets.
The likelihood of developing health effects depends on the type of pesticide and other chemicals that are in the product you are using or the food that you are eating, as well as the amount you are exposed to and how long or often you are exposed.

Most of you are aware that there are poisons in non-organic food, but are you aware that you might be experiencing ill-health right now due to pesticide poisoning?

Do you get unexplained headaches, even though you are on a healthy diet? Do you suffer unexplained aches and pains, mental confusion, cold and flu-like symptoms, chronic tiredness, etc?

Although these symptoms can often be caused by other things, it may be that your body is attempting to detoxify from toxic pesticide residues which you may have unwittingly consumed. 

Remember - If it's poisonous to small animals i.e. insects, it is also quite likely to be poisonous to us too!

Blood disorders such as leukemia, anemia, etc. have increased with the use of deadly pesticides. In fact, over 500,000 illnesses in the US alone are reported to be as a result of serious pesticide poisoning. 

However, since you may not have become ill directly after consuming pesticide-laden food, you may not have noticed their effects.

 Unfortunately, it is pretty hard to avoid having pesticide poisoning these days since agrobusiness has reached most areas of the world now and winds and rain carry toxins in the atmosphere which will inevitably pollute organic crops too.


Most pesticides or insecticides (typically those that come in a spray can) are basic irritants to dogs and cats.

If you're having problems with "pests" inside your home and decide to get a professional "Pest Service", have them spray the outside of your home and at all entry points where these critters enter your home. All the professional services tell you that their pesticides are "safe"...not true! They're ALL dangerous!

Common signs to watch for:
  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Tremors
  • Walking drunk
  • Seizures
In general, these are usually not a large poisoning concern unless the dog or cat directly ingested the product from the container or bag, walked on the wet floor and licked his paws or if a pet’s symptoms become persistent.

After the pesticide dries, it's usually safe for people and their pets. 

That said, there are some rare types of pesticides that are mixed with dangerous other chemicals or insecticides (such as organophosphates or carbamates), which can be life-threatening when consumed.

If you think your pet was exposed to a pesticide, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.

 General Symptoms that Might Indicate Pesticide Poisoning

Some symptoms of pesticide exposure will go away as soon as the exposure stops. Others may take some time to go away. For people and pets exposed to pesticides on a regular basis, long-term health effects are a concern.

Some health effects from pesticide exposure may occur right away, as you are being exposed. Some symptoms may occur several hours after exposure. Other effects may not be noticed for years, for example cancer.

Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should check with their doctors before working with pesticides as some pesticides may be harmful to the fetus (unborn baby) or to breast-fed infants.

Many foods contain a large amount of pesticides. To play it safe, eat organic foods...make sure it says USDA Organic, as "Natural" means nothing.

Pesticides can enter your body during mixing, applying, clean-up operations or ingesting foods containing pesticides.

There are generally three ways a chemical or material can enter the body:
  1. through the skin (dermal) 
  2. through the lungs (inhalation) 
  3. by mouth (ingestion) 
General Symptoms that Might Indicate Pesticide Poisoning

Mild Poisoning Moderate Poisoning Severe Poisoning
Any of the following:
  • irritation of the nose, throat, eyes or skin
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • loss of appetite
  • thirst
  • nausea
  • diarrhea
  • sweating
  • weakness or fatigue
  • restlessness
  • nervousness
  • changes in mood
Any of the mild symptoms, plus any of the following:
  • vomiting
  • excessive salivation
  • coughing
  • feeling of constriction in throat and chest
  • abdominal cramps
  • blurring of vision
  • rapid pulse
  • excessive perspiration
  • profound weakness
  • trembling
  • muscular incoordination
  • mental confusion
Any of the mild or moderate symptoms, plus any of the following:
  • inability to breathe
  • extra phlegm or mucous in the airways
  • small or pinpoint pupils
  • chemical burns on the skin
  • increased rate of breathing
  • loss of reflexes
  • uncontrollable muscular twitching
  • unconsciousness
  • death

Disturbing isn't it? Don't give up hope though! There are ways of avoiding seriously endangering our bodies from pesticides - the easiest one of course is to have as much organic produce as possible (organic farming is much kinder to animals and has less of a negative impact upon our environment too).

Growing your own is often more practical than you realize.